We are on the lookout for
— current opening
Aegis is looking for a Design Researcher who can lead research across many different types of projects including generative “blue sky,” rapid and nimble iterative loops of prototyping and user feedback, and qualitative studies that bring confidence and move ideas closer to market launch. As an Aegis Researcher, you’ll explore diverse human behaviors and lifestyles. You will work with multidisciplinary teams and use research findings to inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions. You’ll translate research insights into powerful stories that shift hearts and minds.
Working with Aegis
Aegis is a deeply human-centered creative consultancy. We seek inspiration from the people who are the intended users of the services, and experiences that we design. We strive to create emotional connections to people—and we get our most compelling designs from this empathic connection. Design research is at the heart of work at Aegis. We uncover insights by spending time with people, conducting thoughtful qualitative and quantitative research, and creating deep empathy within our design teams and with our clients.
—A degree in the social sciences, such as sociology or cultural anthropology.
—3+ years (for junior role) or 7+ years (for senior role) professional experience in applied research, outside of academic training. This might include design research, UX research, market research, applied sciences, journalism, and others.
—Familiarity with a wide variety of qualitative research methodologies, such as: conducting one-on-one interviews and ethnographic-style fieldwork, moderating group conversations, running live prototyping sessions, conducting co-design workshops, and engaging users remotely.
—Experience applying research insights to creative design solutions.
—Impactful and passionate communication skills.
—Experience working in highly collaborative design teams, or other multidisciplinary teams.
—A passion for applying quantitative data, numbers, and analysis to derive research insights.
—Some experience with basic mixed methods research that includes quantitative data. In particular, we want you to have experience designing simple surveys (with tools like Google Forms, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey or Typeform) and then working with your results using basic descriptive analysis (like percentages, sums, and averages).
—Experience working across a variety of sectors or industries.
—Experience working with tech startups, particularly during the creative phase of start-up launch.
—Deep expertise in marketing/branding.
Application requirements and instructions
If you identify with our values, are excited about great design, and would like to contribute to our studio, we would love to see your resume, cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include 2-3 examples of projects you’ve worked on in a research capacity. We know that you are a researcher, and perhaps not a graphic artist, but use this portfolio as a way to showcase your communication skills, both visual and written. In your description of 2-3 example projects, focus on:
—The challenge you were trying to solve
—The industry you were working in
—Your specific role on the project
—The research approach and methods you used
—Some of your key learnings, or insights
—The impact of your research findings on design or business strategies.
We know that many of you are coming from fields outside of design. We think of design very broadly! So, include examples of products, services, programs, businesses or organizations, or experiences to which your research has contributed.
Front-end web developer
Aegis is looking for an intermediate/senior front-end web developer to collaborate with designers, build and launch responsive websites. You love exploring new methods and techniques and live to take development to a new level. In short, we need a developer who can bring awesome design and visually rich interactivity to life.
Qualifications and skills for a successful candidate
—5+ years experience building complex responsive web applications
—Developing and maintaining eCommerce websites
—Experience of writing modular, optimized and elegant web UI code that works across desktop, tablet and phone
—Knowledge and experience for web content accessibility level AAA
—A solid understanding of object-oriented design and programming principles
—Ability to identify system deficiencies and recommend solutions
—The flexibility to code and lead
—Excellent written and verbal communication skills
—You have a strong eye for typography, colour, and layout, transform design mockups into working software with a close attention to detail. Have good architecture sensibility and a passion for high-quality code
If you’re interested, please submit your resume, web sample links that you have completed independently and salary expectations. Apply here
Aegis is looking for a motivated, positive individual who loves people, is highly organized and thrives under pressure. Your role is to manage client expectations and manage each project’s budget, schedule and scope. Therefore, you are at the centre of the action. Our clients need to know what will be happening when, and how much it will cost them. They also need to know the consequences of breaking scope, extending schedules or reducing budgets ahead of time.
—Managing and implementing Design, Print, Media and/or web related projects.
—Interacting with Clients under the guidance of the President/CEO.
—Creating and managing project task lists, timelines and other documents.
Developing and maintaining a detailed project schedule.
—Participation in weekly/daily internal Team Meetings.
—Coordinate weekly conference calls and/or intermittent updates with Client.
—Maintain online Project Manager Tool and task calendar.
—File all project documents (hard and soft copies) in designated files
—Responsible for tracking all project changes requested by Client and/or President/CEO.
—Compile summary documents, audits, reconciliation packets, etc.
—Submit and/or upload all approved projects to various vendors, media outlets or designated recipients.
—Project Management relative to Video, Photography and Special Projects.
—Must have great communication skills, being bilingual is helpful (English & French)
—Strict attention to detail and follow through, ability to meet deadlines
—Strong MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
—Adobe Suite experience is a plus, but not required.
—Must have 3-7 years of agency experience working with clients in a marketing department or ad agency setting
—Must have exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
Please share a cover letter and resume. Apply here
We are looking for Cultural Anthropologists for ongoing project-based work. Our firm helps create stronger relationships between brands and their most important audiences. Therefore, the role of anthropology and the social sciences is to aid in mapping the cultural nuances relevant in the establishment of these relationships and the development of sound communications strategy.
• Collaborate with clients and Aegis team members to effectively define business problems and propose the most appropriate qualitative research approach that supports solutions to those problems
• Design, conduct and report on qualitative research at the front end of the Design Thinking process in an effort to uncover deep seeded consumer needs
• Support the execution of the qualitative research activities, fieldwork and the collection and analysis of data
• Leverage knowledge from clients to uncover better insights
• Participate in cross-functional teams to identify market trends, emerging opportunities with target market segments, business value propositions, and potential product development/ enhancement
• Be an ambassador for user research, ethnography and the practiced art of empathy inside a large organizations
• Administrative duties, such arranging schedules with research subjects
• The applicant must have a MA or PHD degree in cultural anthropology
• Extensive knowledge and practical experience on a wide range of qualitative research techniques and knowledge of quantitative research
• Prior experience independently carrying out research projects, fieldwork and analysis or other context with applications beyond the purely academic
• Ability to clearly communicate research insights for non-researchers, excellent facilitation, communication and collaboration skills with external and internal teams alike
• Innovative thinker with proven experience to demonstrate outside of the box thinking
• Experience in and/or success with small start-ups is a plus
• Some quantitative methods experience is a plus
• Very well organized and an excellent planner
Please share a cover letter and resume. Apply here
Aegis has a contract position opening for a talented intermediate strategic designer, opportunity to the full-time position. You are not only a talented, creative designer, but also a strategic thinker. You have strong aesthetic instincts and exceptional typography skills, attention to detail, willing to go beyond expectation. You are able to manageing multiple projects from concept, through production and completion.
• Contribute to brainstorming sessions and deliver creative solutions to meet project objectives. Designers will not just execute ideas, but also be part of the research and creative process.
• With the project lead and creative lead, participate in meetings to evaluate project scope and understand creative design needs.
• Collaborate with project teams to develop supporting assets and presentation materials including journey maps, sales tools, info-graphics, event themes and collateral, and online assets.
• To manage all design aspect of the project, from clarification of the design brief, to managing design timeline to ensure the production is meeting the deadlines.
• Determine and influence project strategy through design thinking.
• Translate high strategy / visions into successful design solutions
• Experience in branding, magazine, annual report, book design and information design.
• A genuine interest in consumer needs and behavior.
• The ability to work smoothly with cross function team members, exchanging ideas collaboratively.
• Highly organized, methodical and works well under pressure.
• Able to work independently and within a team.
• Experience in interactive/ web design considered a strong asset.
• Knowledge of print production, experience reviewing proofs and attending press approvals.
Please submit your cover letter and resume, PDF of 5 your best portfolio pieces or link to online portfolio, and salary expectations. Apply here
Brand Strategist (Project)
Aegis is interested in ongoing relationships with senior-level Brand Strategists to augment our team when work flow expands beyond capacity. The scope of our work includes helping clients attain better clarity about corporate purpose and trajectory; build stronger differentiation in markets; and gain stronger traction with audiences.
Aegis is interdisciplinary. Working on our team means working with anthropologists, designers, management consultants, writers and other brand and business strategists.
The ideal candidate would have expertise and experience in the following activities:
• Develop brand strategy for clients that ensures consistent narrative across all communications
• Distilling what’s at the heart of a client’s company
• Working with data and data scientists to build strategies with traction in the market
• Positioning or repositioning brands for greater success in their category
• Developing ongoing campaigns or strategies to meet our client’s business goals
• Collaborating internally to spark creative ideas with other teams
• Developing customer journey maps and segmentations
• Creating decks and presentations from beginning to end
• Presenting team’s work to clients
Preference is given to candidates with a business degrees and 5+ years of experience.
Please share a cover letter and resume. Apply here